Tuesday, February 24, 2009
The Equestrian Center!
Today I started my volunteering at the Stone Harbor Equestrian Center at Slippery Rock. All my life I have had a love for horses and I am very excited to finally have an opportunity to work with them. Today I learned the proper way to tack up and groom a horse. I really wish I would have realized this opportunity much earlier in my time in college but all in all I am excited about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I could not agree with you more Valerie. The Storm Harbor center is a great way to volunteer. Did anyone know that there is a skunk that lives in the side boards in the arena? Yeah, that's why it stinks so bad. But yes, from taking that class in the APA minor, I have learned all the different saddles including Western, Australian, and English. There are many different types of adapted equipment to benefit riders with disabilities. Riders feel great self-esteem, confidence, and it really works on their stability.
ReplyDeleteI love horses too. I got to work at the Equestrian Center last semester when i volunteered with Kids in Action. It was awsome to see the smiles on the kids faces as they rode the horses and it was awsome to see how well the horses responded to the kids. I wish i would have gotten involved with the Equestrian center too. It looks like a blast!. Luck Duck!
ReplyDeleteI had an opportunity to volunteer at the Equestrian Center last week. We went there for Kids in Action. My mentee loved being there and I found that working with the horses helps the kids with balance and coordination. I thought it was a great experience for them. I don't agree with Val on the horses though, I much rather prefer cowst instead. But horses are great for transportation.
ReplyDelete